March 19, 2012

On Lighter Dreams and busier days...

Journal Entry # 19
03/19/12



(Entry #2 for Callous Comics)

Stretching myself thin but not getting any lighter!

I once prided myself in being able to manage my time efficiently. However, there is an inherent peril in booking every second of your day. Once something new comes in demanding your time, it throws a proverbial wrench in your machinery! Nevertheless, this time, the wrench is a wonderful thing!

Last Valentine's Day my daughter was born, the second of my two children. Needless to say, it's been an absolute joy being around her! I took a week off from Callous after she was born then got right back into doing daily comics. However, it dawned on me pretty quickly that I wasn't as young as I used to be and I pushed myself perhaps a bit too far. It didn't take long before I realized that I just couldn't keep up with my self-imposed demanding comic schedule. Even my work on the layout of my upcoming book, Callous Comics - On Lighter Dreams, has slowed down considerably. Furthermore, as if Callous Comics didn't fill my plate enough, I also had the writing of M.O.U.S.E. to contend with! In the end there just weren't enough hours in a day. I couldn't even keep up with the multitude of social networks I frequent online. With a heavy heart, I had to cut down on my daily comic work and do it "when I can". Fortunately, I've still been able to make comic strips albeit not in the usual daily schedule.

Still, just because the train has slowed down doesn't mean it's not going to get to where it's going! I'm confident that once my daily routine stabilizes I'll be back at the drawing board on a regular basis! Until my next entry...


- Carlo Jose San Juan, MD - creator, writer, and illustrator of "Callous". Creator and writer of "M.O.U.S.E."

3 comments: