July 25, 2012

Then came Lakan and Makisig...

Journal Entry #59
July 23, 2012

Good Morning,

It's never too late to start. 
All you have to do is take the first step.
There's a difference between "those who can" and "those who did".

Well first of all you can call me giosdesk. I'm a comic artist. Preferably you saw me on Facebook on the IKM group, or at the Indieket Event at table I12. It's my first time to join such event and to be a participant/seller. The experience is awesome, and very fruitful. I'm a graphic artist by day and a vigilante at night roaming the streets of imagination and what not. Scourging the underbelly of the subconscious and tinkling with the machinery of creativity. Unless the baby cries and needs to change the diaper.






I always wanted to be a cartoonist by profession but theres this thing called RESPONSIBILITY and yours truly needs to man up and take it. Well I think all of us wanted that, doing what you LOVE thingy, but here in our country thats kinda, NOT THE IDEAL CHOICE. I've been doing comics strip waaaay back in high school, then college, I was a regular cartoonist for the Advocate (FEU student publication). Then graduation, I still do strips but for personal satisfaction. But got married, had kids, then stopped. Comics ended right there.

But the passion is still there, it's my forte, it's what I'm good at. I don't want to fail my heroes, Rene Aranda, Jess Abrera, Nonoy Marcelo (fellow Advocate and Tamaraw) and Pol Medina Jr. in strips and humor. So I did a personal project for giosdesk, since I'm now a father I wanted to share that experience, so I created Lakan at Makisig Komiks, yes thats the name of my 2 boys. I get my inspiration, ideas and motivation from them. I'm creating comics but wasn't able to commit due to work and family. I'm kinda new in the head of the family section. But I met this awesome cartoonist over at multiply, Freely (naks), we've exchanged mails and he really inspire me to work on my comics and I really like his style and humor, its like western cartoon but speaks tagalog. I finally met Freely at FCBD 2011, nice fellow. I did strips now and then, but not consistent. I tried to print copies and sold them to friends early 2012. Freely advice me to join Indieket last July which I did and here I am now.







After Indieket, I was inspired to create more comics, and was really motivated that I am able to post one-comic per day on giosdesk Wordpress. YAY! Lesson here is that, if it's your passion, do it. No one will do it for you. Quite a long story, thanks for taking the time to read. Thanks to the people I met at Indieket, to those who purchased and those who laugh, it melts me. Looking forward to meet more of you guys and MABUHAY ang PINOY KOMIKS!






giosdesk, writer/artist/model
Lakan at Makisig

1 comment:

  1. hey dude! Ayan naman pala eh, meron ka ring blogspot haha.

    Anyway, it's me, Noah. That guy who just bought one and wish he bought more. :D

    Just to tell you a little more about myself. Well, I'm also an aspiring comic book artist and writer. But yeah, I'm also taking some time off to teach at CSB (just to feed myself and my hobbies.)

    It's nice to keep in touch with other indie comic book artists. I believe that it could really help one's drive even during the most difficult of times. :)

    ciao! Noah.

    ReplyDelete